I thought I had a new brilliant thought during the holidays last year. This beautiful romantic notion was that to really celebrate the holidays I would eat everything that was offered to me. I dove into rejoicing and eating all the way from Halloween to Valentines day. This sad delusion brought me to the heaviest weight I have ever been as a non prego person. I am now trying to unwrap all the undisciplined layers of excess. The first step was to get a calorie counter app. This ended up being a great idea for the whole family. My 17 year old uploaded the app on her smart phone as well and both my daughters thought it was like playing a game. Every time we sat down at a restaurant, they would figure out the healthiest choices to eat. Even my perpetual skinny husband said, “I will never be able to eat some of the junk foods I used to because it’s not worth running for hours on the treadmill to work it off.” One of the restaurants we ate at was PFChang’s the girls fell in love with the lettuce wraps so when we got home I looked up the recipe on pintrest and here it is:
– 1lb ground chicken breast( I use ground turkey)
– 1/2 medium onion, minced
– salt & pepper, a dash of each
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 inch nob fresh ginger, peeled & minced (I love the fresh herb paste in the produce section)
– 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
-2 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
– 1/2 Tablespoon water 1 Tablespoon natural peanut butter
– 1/2 Tablespoon honey
-1 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
– 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (or more if you like it hotter)
-dash of fresh pepper 3 green onions,
– chopped 1/2-8oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained & chopped
– 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
– 10-12 large outer lettuce leaves, rinsed and patted dry
1. Heat a large, non-stick skillet on high. Add chicken, onion, salt & pepper, and cook until chicken is nearly done, stirring often to break up the meat. Add in minced garlic and ginger, and continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink.
2. Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, combine sesame oil, soy sauce, water, peanut butter, honey, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce and pepper. Microwave for 20 seconds, then stir until smooth. Add into the skillet and stir to combine.
3.add green onions, peanuts, and water chestnuts to meat mixture and stir.