I hate to brag about my cooking. . . alright I love to brag about my cooking, but this recipe I’m giving you won second prize at our local chilli cook off, and the best part it’s loaded with veggies, V-8 juice, and ground turkey.
Seriously though the very best part is how this cook-off got started, and how it ended. There is a scripture that encourages the older women of the church to impart into the younger. Well we have a few older singles that have been starting to do just that. They decided they wanted to help out our young single mom’s have Christmas presents for their kids.
A week later we hosted a chilli cook-off with the proceeds going to these specific mom’s. The whole church miraculously got together last-minute and decorated it to look like an old fashion stage-coach theme and everyone either made chilli or brought homemade desserts, corn bread, or fry-bread.
Our own mayor (which we love) was one of the judges. After it was all done we made over a thousand dollars. Not bad for a few women inspired to make a little difference in someone’s life this Christmas.
Well here’s a little pre-Christmas gift for you:
- 1-lb. ground turkey
- 1 tsp beef base (bullion paste)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- tsp. chilli powder (I like using half chipolte powder)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1- 15oz. can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 c. chopped celery
- 1 c. chopped sweet onion
- 1c. green pepper
- 1- 10 oz. can tomatoes with green chillies (I love rotel with lime juice)
- 1- 16 oz. can cut up tomatoes
- 1 c. v-8 spicy juice
- 1- 6 can tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- dash of liquid smoke, A1 sauce, and worshtishere
- In a skillet cook turkey and add beef paste with garlic until cooked. Stir in chilli powder and cumin, cook 2 more minutes.
- place in a crock pot all the rest of the ingredients.
- cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 4-5 hours