I did it! I really really did it! (you can’t see me but I’m dancing around my kitchen right now, spoons in hand). I love that quinoa has so much protein and so little carbs. Rice is so old school with all it’s starch and calories. But yuck…I’m sorry but there is a weird taste I can’t describe or get over in quinoa…..until my breakthrough in the kitchen last night!
This dish is so flexible in exchanging different spices or veggies to match flavors in what it is being served with. So here’s to you, may you have many quinoa Inspirations in your kitchen, and may you write them to share with us.
- 2 c. small cut up veggies (I used cubed zucchini, yellow squash, onion, frozen peas, mushrooms, peppers, shredded carrots, chopped garlic)
- 4 c. water mixed with 4 tsp veggie better than bullion (you can use whatever flavor or type of bullion you like)
- 31/2 c. quinoa
- any seasoning you prefer (I used a garlic rosemary seasoning I found at Sam’s club.
- olive oil
- 1/4 c. fresh parm. cheese (I also think goat cheese would be good)
- Heat large skillet (I like cast iron) on med. high heat with enough olive oil to coat the bottom of pan.
- add veggies till half cooked through
- Add quinoa and continue to stir until slightly browned.
- add your spices
- add the water and bullion mixture
- stir until evenly mixed.
- turn heat down to med. low, then cover until water has evaporated into dish (about 15 min.)
- might have to add a little more water if quinoa is not tender.
- When its all done turn off heat and stir in cheese, salt and pepper to taste.