This is my favorite ice cream recipe when I really need something rich and creamy. You can be creative by adding any mix-ins during the stirring time. Don’t forget that it needs to be made a day before the freezing process. (so the mixture can cool down enough).
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 c. local honey
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3 c. half-and-half
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Whisk together 1st 3 ing. in med. bowl and set aside.
- In a med. saucepan, bring half-and-half to a full simmer. Remove from heat.
- Slowly pour around a third of the hot cream mixture to the egg honey mix while whisking (to avoid scrambling the eggs); then return the egg and cream mixture to the saucepan.
- Again bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens enough to coat a spoon, and a thermometer reads 170 degrees, about 4 min. don’t boil. ( I never use a thermometer)
- chill in fridge at least 3 hrs. or up to a day
- process custard in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions; add soft add-in ing. half way through freezing or chunky ing. during the last 2 to 5 min.
- transfer to a bowl or tub, add any desired swirls and serve, or cover and freeze until firm for 3 hours and up to 3 days. (i usually serve immediately cause I can’t wait)